Looking for the perfect breakfast? While nothing says "Good morning!" like bacon, eggs and toast, it's not the only food option to help you start the day off right. If you want a killer breakfast every day, here are a few reasons you may want to consider a shake:
1. Quick and easy – Drop all the ingredients (milk, fruit, protein powder, seeds, nuts, peanut butter, etc.) into a blender, press the "Puree" button, and you're off to the races! Within literally 30 seconds, you're ready to enjoy your breakfast. Shakes are quick and easy to make and enjoy, and they're perfect for busy professionals who need to get off to work.
2. More fruits and veggies – If you struggle to eat your greens, why not add them into your fruit-based shake and drink them instead? If you use a sweeter fruit like oranges, mangoes, or pineapple as the base of the shake, you can add in a lot of darker greens like spinach, kale, or chard and still have a delicious drink.
3. More filling – Protein shakes are incredibly filling, sometimes more so than a meal of a comparable size. Adding protein powder into a milk-, soy milk-, or almond milk-based shake will give you a hefty dose of amino acids that will trigger the satiety hormone leptin, keeping you full for hours. Add in a spoonful of oats for carbs and fiber, almond butter for healthy fats, and strawberries or blueberries for antioxidants, and you have an incredibly well-balanced meal.
4. Better digestion – After a few days of eating heavy foods (greasy, fried, or heavily spiced), you may want something light and refreshing. A fruit and veggie shake is just what you need to give your digestive system a break. The blended raw produce and water/juice will do wonders to clear out your intestines!
5. Detoxification – Modern processed and packaged foods contain a lot of artificial ingredients that can be toxic to our bodies. To reduce toxicity, we need to consume more antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Fruit and veggie shakes are excellent for detoxing, as they provide those free radical-killing nutrients.
The truth is that there are MANY more excellent reasons to start the day with a shake: building muscle, enhancing athletic performance, promoting weight loss, improving skin health, and the list goes on. As you can see, shakes are an excellent addition to your healthy diet!
Visit my online store for everything you need to make your own delicious shakes at home. Check out my blog for recipes.